The difference between a virtual and a dedicated server
13 minute(s) read
Feb 12, 2021
You must use a server to
make your website
public and visible to the public. In other words, you have to use servers to host your website. When using servers, you should pay attention to the performance of the site, the amount of hardware power, cost and resources, because there are different types of servers. To know which server your site is suitable for, you should first get acquainted with different types of servers and then, based on your needs, you can find the right server to host your website.
The servers are ready to host websites in two types, dedicated and virtual. But each of these servers has its own function, which we will get acquainted with in this article.
Types of servers
Types of servers are divided into three categories depending on the type of function and the amount of access to resources and user needs.
1- Dedicated server
2- Virtual server
3- Shared hosting
Unlike a virtual server, a dedicated server provides all the features and powers to users and other users do not share the server resources, but all the resources on the server are fully available to users. The main and tangible difference between dedicated and virtual servers is that the amount of access and how to manage server software resources are the same on both servers, but the amount of access and how to manage hardware resources of dedicated servers is much more than virtual servers. There are no restrictions on the use of hardware resources on dedicated servers, and users can use and use as much hardware as the processing power has. The amount of access and management of software resources in virtual and dedicated servers are equal, but the amount of access to hardware resources in dedicated servers is much greater and wider than virtual servers.
To better explain and understand the function of the virtual server , we compare it to an independent unit in a large and luxurious residential complex. In this case, the virtual server as an independent unit and equipped with all the facilities in a large complex. Those who live in an independent unit have all the facilities and equipment of other parts of the luxurious complex in their independent unit, but for traveling and using the elevator and other things, they must be used jointly with other people by observing and following the general rules of the complex. Many people refer to a virtual server as a shared server that they use with other people as long as they follow its rules. Unlike shared hosting, which manages the server through the admin panel, in a virtual server , users have direct access to the server itself and can easily manage it. In virtual servers, users can completely and remotely perform all server software settings, install and set up, and customize.
This type of server is like a dormitory where a number of people live in the same place at the same time, the number of these people varies depending on the capacity of the dormitory. In this type of hosting, there is a server that is shared between all people and people share it. Server and resource management is done through the admin panel and the user does not have direct access to the server to manage it. This type of server has many limitations compared to other servers, but compared to other servers, it has a reasonable and low purchase price and cost.
In short, dedicated servers provide all resources to users and do not share them with other users. Access to software resources is the same on both dedicated and virtual servers. It is possible to manage the server and apply the settings on both dedicated and virtual servers remotely.
Virtual server performance is roughly similar to shared hosting, sharing resources with its users.
What are the differences between a dedicated and a virtual server?
and dedicated servers are different in terms of cost and price. The virtual server is cheaper than the dedicated server due to being shared with other users, where all the features of the server are generally available to users.
- Dedicated server has a lot of resources. As we said, the lack of resources in the dedicated server is not possible, but in the virtual server there are not many resources that are in the dedicated server or can be shared. Resources such as electricity, network cards, etc.
- Virtual servers have more flexibility and can be easily transferred to another server in case of problems and disruptions. But dedicated servers do not have the ability to quickly transfer to other servers in the event of a problem or disruption.
- Dedicated servers have more hardware resources and higher power than virtual servers, because resources such as processor, storage space, main memory, etc. are not shared in dedicated servers.
- The bandwidth of dedicated servers is another difference that distinguishes dedicated and virtual servers. The bandwidth offered on dedicated servers is much greater and wider than the bandwidth offered on virtual servers.
- Dedicated servers have high security because other users do not have access to it and its resources are not shared with other people.
- Dedicated servers have the ability to be subdivided into smaller virtual machines, each of which can offer a different function. If this is not possible on virtual servers.
- Different operating systems that will be installed on virtual servers depend on images of them, but any type and version of operating systems can be installed on dedicated servers.
- Based on statistics, it can be said that dedicated servers have high power, facilities and equipment, but virtual servers are more popular due to their low cost and relatively good facilities.
- In the use of virtual servers, you are not responsible for the maintenance and care of hardware resources, but the server provider itself.
- Virtual servers are suitable for large public and private organizations, as well as for those who want to install some modules and applications on hardware resources but do not want to get involved in hardware control and management. Because the management and control of server hardware resources is not the responsibility of users, only software management is the responsibility of users.
Distinctive features of a dedicated server compared to a virtual server
- Dedicated servers are literally fully available to users.
- One of the fastest and most powerful servers.
- Dedicated servers are the most important and widespread level of hosting in the world.
- It is possible to create multiple virtual machines on dedicated server hardware resources.
- The number of resources in dedicated servers is very high and there is no shortage, they can be upgraded and increased if there are few resources.
- Dedicated servers are used for hosting, file storage, running special programs, etc. The server of many large sites such as Google, Facebook , Amazon, etc. is a dedicated server to be able to easily meet the needs of their users.
- Dedicated servers have very high power and performance.
- Dedicated server security is relatively high and all software and hardware resources are fully dedicated to users.
- There is good performance without problems and without partnering with other users on dedicated servers.
- Dedicated servers are a good option for users who want high security and want to use all resources exclusively.
- In dedicated servers, due to the improper use of many users, less disruptions and problems will occur.
Which server is suitable for use?
If you have a large business that requires storage space, main memory, and a high-powered processor, it is best to use dedicated servers that can take full advantage of hardware resources. But if you have a small business or a small site that does not have a lot of monthly traffic, you can use virtual servers to host your website. Virtual servers have all the features that dedicated servers offer, but with the exception that access to hardware resources on dedicated servers is higher and more private.
Virtual server benefits:
The cost of purchasing a virtual server is less than a dedicated server due to its shared nature.
2- Ability to upgrade and increase resources:
During the period that he has used the virtual server to host your site and after a while you feel that your site has grown and needs more resources, you can get the software resources you need. Upgrade and increase. Upgrading virtual server software resources is easy and instant.
3- Quick startup:
Installing and launching the operating system on the virtual server is very convenient and fast and can be done in a fraction of a second and you can easily and quickly run the operating system on the server.
Consider the situation that your server has problems due to viruses, operating system problems, software problems and Normally you need to uninstall and reactivate the operating system, in which case you may lose your information and data. To protect your data and solve the problem, you can back up your data and Easily apply all the changes you want to the server and operating system.
Dedicated server benefits
1- High processing power:
One of the most noticeable advantages of dedicated servers is its high processing power. This server is superior to virtual servers in terms of processing power and speed of access to resources and many other tasks.
2- Higher speed:
Dedicated servers are ranked high in terms of speed because there is no virtual layer or shared layer and the operating system is installed directly on the server hardware, so all work and processing is fast. The top is done.
3- Configuration and customization:
In dedicated servers, users can configure the server as they wish, depending on their needs. However, there are limitations to the use of virtual servers, for example, they cannot implement and install any type of operating system, and only pre-defined operating systems must be installed. But dedicated servers have no restrictions on any of their functions, and users can customize as they see fit.Click to analyze your wesbite SEO