Types of content management systems
10 minute(s) read
Published on: Feb 07, 2021
Updated on: Dec 14, 2021
If you have ever worked in web design and design, you know that perfect web design requires knowledge of web design. Of course, there are many ways and languages to do this, and people choose the method and language for designing and managing a website, depending on their needs and expertise. Each of these methods has its own advantages and disadvantages, and in order to be able to make a good and appropriate choice, you must be familiar with the characteristics of each of them so that you can finally choose the appropriate method.
What is a content-management system or CMS?
Content-management system is a system or software that is installed on the server and is used for content-management, and you can use these systems without the need for programming knowledge and web design, without the need for professional coding. Manage your site In other words. Dynamic pages need such systems as CMS to manage content. Content-management systems are available to users in two types: paid (dedicated) and free (open source).
Types of content-management systems:
Content-management systems are generally divided into two categories:
1- Open source content management systems
2- SAAS content-management systems or shared systems.
Open Source Content-Management Systems:
These types of content-management systems are open source or open-source, and their code and source code is available to users, and users from all over the world can change and develop their code depending on their needs. These systems are free and available to users and site designers for free. The advantage of this type of system is that all experts from all over the world have access to the code and can modify and develop it and provide free plugins to users. Of course, these types of systems meet all the needs of users and cover their needs and want, but for very large businesses, some code can be developed if necessary.
Open source content-management systems:
- They are cheap and do not require high fees for licensing and upgrades.
- Everyone can develop and offer new plugins, so there are many free plugins.
- There are many free and attractive themes and templates.
Shared content-management systems:
These types of systems have the same functionality as open-source content management systems, except that the code of this system is not available to users, and it is not possible to change or develop the code. This type of content-management system is not free, and to use this type of system; you have to buy a subscription from the seller and its provider. The cost of these systems can be paid monthly, annually, or in a package. Of course, it should be noted that the cost of templates, hosts, and the like are not separate and are calculated on the purchased package.
Types of content-management systems:
WordPress is one of the most popular and widely used content-management systems, with about 60 million websites based on WordPress. WordPress was initially blogging, but over time it expanded to become a popular content-management system. WordPress is suitable for designing small websites, personal blogs, and small business websites. The number of themes and plugins in WordPress is more than other management systems. Working with WordPress is very easy, so if people do not have technical and specialized knowledge, they can easily design a website using WordPress. Of course, you should be careful not to use WordPress to design large store sites, because in this case, you have to use multiple and powerful plugins, and this will increase the loading speed of the site.
The advantages and features of WordPress include the following:
- User-friendly environment
- Ability to create and design any website
- Extensive Association of Developers
- Having multiple plugins and more
- Being free
- Low volume
- high speed
- Easy to set up and install
- Easy and attractive user interface
- Compatibility and optimization for all search engines
- Ready-made templates
- No need for technical knowledge and coding
Here are some suggestions on how to look or get an appointment for WordPress:
- Design blogs and personal websites
- University websites
- Websites with e-commerce content
- Job introduction websites
Another open-source content-management system is Joomla, which is a strong competitor to WordPress and was introduced to the market in 2001. Joomla! It is suitable for designing content-oriented sites, news sites, and department stores and can be easily used. The site of Porsche, Sprint, and other companies has been designed and launched using Joomla. Unlike WordPress, which was a blogger in its infancy, Joomla was never designed for blogging, but it is also a good fit for blogging. Joomla's installation is a bit more time-consuming than WordPress, but the content-management system is strong.
The advantages and features of Joomla include the following:
- Existence of more than 7000 plugins
- Extensive and large developer community
- Ability to authenticate users through Google
- Being free
- High installation speed and easier
Here are some things to look for when selecting Joomla:
- News websites such as magazines and newspapers and ...
- Websites with e-commerce content
- User portals
- University websites
- Personal websites
This content-management system has a smaller number of users but has been able to attract the attention of professional site designers. This system has a very small number of regular users because it has very few ready-made themes and templates, and you have to code to have a site with good templates. That is why professional designers who are also aware of coding science use this content-management system more. So to use this system, you must be familiar with coding science, and using this system is not recommended for beginners, but people who are skilled and knowledgeable in coding science can easily use this system. He used this system to design news portals, store, and corporate sites, upload and download sites, and so on. The sites of companies such as McDonald's, AT&T, Stanford University, and Linux, among others, have been designed and launched using this system. Of the three content-management systems, Drupal is the strongest and most secure and is not recommended for beginners at all.
Drupal benefits and features include the following:
- Ability to provide strong and powerful support
- Existence of more than 6000 different plugins
- Good scalability
- Very high security
- Strong support
- High speed
- This system has been used by large and reputable companies, which is a sign of its credibility and quality
The cases in which Drupal is used are as follows:
- News portals
- Social blogs
- Websites upload and download video and photos
- Social Networks
- Websites with file storage content
This system was one of the content management systems that was used before WordPress and Joomla. But in recent years, it has provided fewer updates, which has reduced the number of users. There have also been problems with security and speed, which has left it out of competition with WordPress and Joomla. But in the past, before WordPress and Joomla, it was popular and used more.
Some of the important features of PHP Tip are as follows:
- Ability to conduct polls quickly and easily
- Ability to view instant statistics
- Ability to control and monitor all members of the site
- Free, fast, and easy installation
- Ability to categorize and manage links
It is one of the content management systems used to build and design online sites and stores. Magento is designed with PHP language and allows users and site designers to design the most equipped, flawless, and complete site. Of course, Magento Store Builder also has two paid versions (Enterprise) and free (Community). The advantage of the paid version of Magento is that it has many features and equipment for unique site design. Magento is a free and popular store builder designed by many online stores around the world.
The following features have made Magento a popular store builder and a top priority:
- Magento is optimized for and compatible with all search engines.
- Page loading speed on sites designed using Magento is high.
- This system is flexible and customizable.
- Magento is a professional store builder that can meet all the needs of users and perform complex sales operations.
- Ability to manage multiple stores
- Adhere to SEO principles
- Supports most languages Magento support services help make urgent fixes to the website and ensure its trouble-free performance.
Another popular store builder is used to design large and small store sites.
Prominent features of Prestashop include the following:
- Fast and free installation
- Strong and powerful management panel
- Accounting, warehousing, and customer management system
- Compatibility with all different currencies
- Compatibility with multilingual stores
- Optimal structure and compatibility with all search engines
- High flexibility and scalability
- Ability to use different banking portals
- Possibility to insert discount codes and hold festivals
- Ability to review products
- Ability to place the infinite product
- Has a variety of formats
- Relatively simple and easy management
This content management system is a combination of open source and proprietary systems. The structure of this system is based on Code Igniter, which is an open-source content management system. The dedicated part of this system stems from the fact that there are numerous and specialized programmers behind this system for strong support.
The advantages and features of EXPRESSIONENGINE include the following:
- Ability to provide a license
- High security and security focus
- No restrictions on-site design
It is one of the content management systems that is very flexible and has the ability to customize. This system is used to generate programming tags and has greatly contributed to marketing and content management. The breadth and multiplicity of templates of this system are not as big as WordPress and Joomla, and it has only about 120 templates that are available to users. This system has the ability to convert raw and format less text to XHTML text and plays an important role in user-friendly content.
The advantages and features of TEXTPATTERN include the following:
- News websites such as newspapers and ...
- Educational websites
- Websites with product introduction content
- Simple portals
- Websites to download files