What is Google Pigeon Algorithm?
3 minute(s) read
Published on: Dec 06, 2020
Updated on: Dec 14, 2021
The Google Pigeon update is one of the most significant changes to the local search algorithm and has changed the way local companies are ranked in organic search. The Pigeon update was first released in the year 2013, and it marked the first time that Google had redesigned its algorithm entirely to enhance its focus on the local results. It was the first update to completely revolutionize Google's core algorithms to sharpen the focus on local results. Google intended to bring local search results and web results together, and it worked.
How Does Google Pigeon Algorithm Update Works?
Google created the Pigeon algorithm with the goal of increasing local listings' ranking in search results. Google Pigeon update affects the local searches and location-based searches. Unlike before the launch of Pigeon, SEO factors are significant while ranking local results. Therefore, local businesses now have to invest more energy and resources in their SEO strategies, both on their site and other sites across the Internet. With the update, Google has come a long way in seeing past misspellings in appearance. So, searching for a company will have no problem with SERP for misspellings.
Significance of Google Pigeon Algorithm Update
Google Pigeon Algorithm works by reducing duplicates between organic and merged page results. Google Pigeon lets you find exactly what you're looking for based on your location. It aims to provide more useful, relevant, and accurate search results for local search queries. Google Pigeon Algorithm offers many benefits. Some of the main advantages of the Google Pigeon Algorithm update are listed below.
- Local searches have been made to better mimic organic search rankings, with queries containing deeper links to Google's web search competencies such as synonyms and knowledge graph, etc.
- Google's distance measurement tools and maps have also been updated, so local searches have been revised to be more accurate than ever.
- The radius of local search results decreased significantly for those who were physically closer to the search engine. This made it easier for local companies to rank better in their local area of operation.
- Local businesses may have seen an increase in web traffic, and as a result, potential new customers.
- Local directories get better visibility in Google search results, especially for restaurants.
- Yelp listings now appear at the top of search results when using the word Yelp in your search.
- It will provide a superior search for people searching with Google places or Google maps platform
- It has changed the way misspellings and synonyms will be used in defining the search results.
- Google's local search results can become more relevant and more transparent on both desktop and mobile devices
Building on the previous three algorithm updates, Google created Pigeon to give you the local search results you want. These results are accurate and legitimate, not spam. For both search engines and local businesses, Pigeon offers an excellent experience for Google users.Click to audit your website SEO