Google Possum Algorithm
8 minute(s) read
Published on: Feb 23, 2021
Updated on: Dec 14, 2021
Google's search engine is constantly updating itself and introduces new algorithms regularly to analyze the content of different sites more quickly through these algorithms. Each of these Google algorithms pays attention to specific factors and ranks the sites based on them. The Google search engine never determines exactly what factors are important for each of the algorithms in Google. You can only make guesses by paying attention to the changes that have been made on the results page.
One of the same Google algorithms that were added to the others, which caused a lot of changes in local searchresults, is Google Possum, which we will learn more about in this article. Still, first, we need to be familiar with the Google algorithm itself.
What is Google-Algorithm?
Google algorithms are computer programs that have mathematical functions and formulas and analyze and classify the contents of sites with the help of Google crawlers. Google's goal is to deliver the most appropriate result to the user and provide a positive experience to the user is using the search engine.
There are different types of algorithms, among which are Mobile friendly, Page layout, BERT, Your Money or Your Life, EAT, RankBrain, and Possum. Each of these algorithms pays attention to different factors for ranking sites, and ultimately sites that are more user-friendly and provide the user with the answer to their questions faster will be at the top of the searchresults page.
What is Possum Algorithm?
Google Possum Algorithm is an algorithm that was updated in 2016. It is an update to rank sites in local search as we mentioned, it made changes in local search results, one of these changes was that through this algorithm, several businesses with the same address were filtered and not shown in local search results, and also led to other changes, all of which resulted in more satisfaction for users who choose the Google search engine to get the answers of their questions.
What local businesses does Possum Algorithm affect?
Various businesses were affected by introducing this algorithm, which we will mention.
Businesses that had the same location:
Before introducing the Google Possum Algorithm, businesses with the same address were displayed in a way that prevented duplicate content from being generated. For example, imagine that many ophthalmologists were located in one building at this time. As a result, only a small number of them were displayed on the searchresults page, and the rest of them were not displayed because Google was receiving signals that they were duplicates.
After the Possum update, similar jobs listed with the same address were filtered. For example, only one or two of them were displayed, this filter can be eliminated, and all these results can be shown. Still, it is not possible for every user because they are not aware of this possibility, so ultimately this algorithm has had a negative impact on many businesses.
Businesses outside the city limits:
With the update of this algorithm, it became possible for businesses outside the city to appear on the search results page by searching for those businesses within the city, which helped many such businesses be seen more.
Businesses that are in different places but belong to one person:
If the business is located in several places and also has a different address, contact number, etc., if you search them in Google the business, only one of them will appear.
With the introduction of this algorithm, entering the user's physical location to get the right answer on the searchresults page became more important. If the user's physical location is entered correctly, it will provide more accurate results while searching on Google, and the closest places related to the search term on the Google searchresults page can be found, which causes getting a positive user experience from using Google as a search engine.
How to increase the ranking of your site with this algorithm?
The Possum algorithm only affects local searches. If the keywords you use have nothing to do with local search, do not worry about this algorithm and focus on improving the quality of your content and following other SEO principles.
1. As you know, in general, Google's goal is to show the best and most relevant answers to users' questions, and this is why it is constantly updating its algorithms, so you can follow important principles such as proper link building, generating fresh and quality content, use the right keywords, etc., to increase your site's ranking on the search results page, and if you have competitors in local search, you can overtake them through SEO principles and increase your site ranking, so that users will see your site after searching for the phrase.
2. In the above section, we mentioned the businesses that are affected by this algorithm, and you certainly noticed that similar local businesses that have the same location might be filtered by this algorithm and not be shown in search results. We recommend you to change your business category in Google My Business, and by making this change, you can prevent your site from being filtered in search results, but you should be aware that while making this change, do not choose categories that are irrelevant to your work, as well as categories that are not being searched regularly.
3. Check your basic information on all pages of your site and check if all the information is entered correctly? Is the information related to the field of work? Does this information show the field of work of the site correctly?
You should check all of these factors on all pages.
4. In order to increase the site ranking with the existence of this algorithm, you should pay special attention to the users' comments section and do your best to choose the keywords that partly refers to your business location so that it can be used correctly, which by following the rules and basics you can get a high ranking in local search compared to competitors and be successful.
5. Social networks help attract many users to your site despite competitors in local search. To do this, you must be active in social networks, such as Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc., so that your website will be seen by more users and eventually gain a high ranking in local search and the search results page.
6. Check your site ranking:
To see your ranking through this algorithm and other algorithms available on Google, you should use the available tools and check your ranking on the search results page, some of which we will mention:
This tool is available for free, and you can quickly use it to compare your site ranking with a competitor's site.
- Small SEO Tools Rank Checker:
With Small SEO Tools Rank Checker, you can simultaneously search for ten keywords on a domain and identify its rankings. The interesting thing about this tool is that you do not need to register to get help.
This tool has two versions, one of which is provided to users for free, and the other version is paid, which provides more features to users by receiving money.
Rankerizer is one of the best tools to check the ranking of a site; using this software; you can track your site ranking for free, also by using Rankerizer, you can see the downward or upward trend of your site ranking, then you can decide to make changes to your site.
Many algorithms are offered regularly by Google. With the introduction of Google Possum Algorithm, many changes were made in local search, which caused local businesses to become very interested in mastering this algorithm, in being aware of the points, in preventing their business from being filtered in local search and not losing their customers, in this article we did our best to mention this algorithm completely so that you are able to succeed in your business.Website SEO analysis services