Is SQL injection illegal?
8 minute(s) read
Published on: Apr 12, 2021
Updated on: Dec 14, 2021
Hackers can access the information and the system of different users through many ways and steal their information or damage their system. This choice depends on the hackers, and they tend to choose one of the types of hacking methods according to their purpose to penetrate the systems, on the other hand, users are trying to increase the security of their system as much as possible to block the way for hackers, one of the steps that they should take, is trying to study articles which are related to security and hacking issues to gain mastery and increase awareness in this regard, in this article, we are going to review SQL injection and tell you the important points related to this subject.
What is this injection?
Through this attack, hackers can retrieve data that is not visible to the user and use to achieve their goals, this type of attack is one of the most common ones among hackers. They use this type of attack to cause a lot of disruption in the users' system, they can even access users' information and modify or delete it through this way, there have been many reports to date about damage to various systems through this method, and sometimes hackers use it to hack web servers as well, in this method, hackers insert a malicious code into the SQL statement through web page input.
Is SQL illegal?
In general, any way different people can access the users' information without their permission is illegal, and those who do so will be punished. In this type of attack, if the hackers can carry out the attack completely, they can access a lot of personal information, for instance, bank card information, important personal information, etc., all of which can make a lot of money for hackers, on the other hand, they will compromise user security, the interesting thing about this type of attack is that the users may not be aware of the fact that they have been hacked for a long time. As a result, during this time, the hacker can continue to steal their important data, as well as accessing more important information day by day, this kind of hacking attack and has different types, among which, the following can be mentioned.
Examples of injection:
- Retrieving hidden data:
Through this way, the hacker can access a lot of information which the site owner did not want to share with applicants, for example, imagine that you enter a site to buy a product. Different lists are displayed on the website, in this section, hackers enter a command asking the website to provide more information about the products not included in it.
- Subverting application logic:
Imagine seeing a program that allows users to log in by entering a password and username. In such a program, a hacker can enter the password and username, which finally allows them to log in through the SQL comment sequence. In this type of attack, eventually, the hacker can modify the query to interfere with the program's purpose and replace their desired target instead of that to reach their desired results.
-Retrieving data from other database tables:
In this type of attack, the hacker can finally use other tables in the database to retrieve the data by performing the desired actions and using the SQL injection vulnerability. To do this, hackers use the "UNION" keyword, and as we mentioned, through this type of request, they can access a lot of information. When hackers enter their request, they can access a lot of information.
- Examining the database:
In this method, hackers need to have more information about the database, and once they have access to the information in the database, they can access their desired information. In general, through this attack, the hacker can obtain information about the database columns. In other words, they can retrieve data from various database tables.
- Blind SQL injection vulnerabilities:
Through this method of attack, hackers can gain information illegally.
In this method, no data is returned, and that is why it is named like that. In this way, hackers can inject a new request into the site and access the information they want. The hackers can also examine the time that the information process takes through this method, and according to this amount of time, they can check the correctness of the process.
In general, hackers use this method to gain a lot of information, so you must protect your system against such attacks. In the following section, we will mention some solutions available to increase system security.
What should we do against these attacks?
As you have noticed so far, in this method, malicious codes are sent to the system and databases through forms, and through this way, they access the information they want. As a result, one of the ways to increase security to protect your information against this type of attack is to increase the security of the forms so that hackers cannot easily achieve their goals.
- It is necessary to increase the speed and efficiency of the site during SQL attacks so that it can defend the information in such cases in the best way possible. For gaining a high level of security, you can use the query method and examine all the data carefully to close the way for hackers to infiltrate.
- Do not forget to update all the content in your system constantly because, in each version provided by one program, there are some bugs that the owners of the program will try to fix in the next version. For example, newer versions may fix the problems that SQL Injection causes. As a result, with the help of updating process, you can provide more security and protect your data in the best way.
- For users to make better use of the site, you may have to warn them and send them messages repeatedly, through which hackers can access vulnerabilities on the site. As a result, they use these vulnerabilities to gain access to information.
While choosing your passwords, try to be careful and use the strongest ones because if you do not use the right passwords, hackers can easily access your information and the system. Therefore, it is necessary to use safe and strong passwords that contain at least eight characters, including uppercase, lowercase letters, numbers, and various elements so that the hacker cannot guess the password easily and finally access the whole system.
- Observe all the available security tips in the best way so that you can bring the security to the highest level. At the same time, you should pay attention to the security of the hosts and observe the available tips so that hackers cannot achieve their goals.
- Minimize user access as much as you can, and check whether users have accessed your databases or not regularly. If you find out that users have accessed your information, you should try to take the necessary steps quickly and block the way for hackers in order not to let them enter your system and gain access to your information.
Change the database prefix so that hackers cannot achieve their goals by using hypothetical prefixes, which is one of the ways that can greatly affect the security of the site against such attacks.
- Use high-security templates for your site, and through this method, you can increase the security of your system and information.
- Get help from powerful and up-to-date antivirus so that they can alert you to viruses, so you can take the necessary security measures.
- Get help from white hat hackers so that they can check the security level of your site and give you the necessary information about it.
In general, any attempt by hackers and profiteers to gain access to the information and systems of different users is illegal, and various punishments exist for such people. In this article, we tried to examine the illegality of SQL injection attacks. We tried to mention the steps that you can take to increase the security of the site and database against such attacks so that hackers cannot access your system and your important information.Website SEO analysis services